Monday, June 11, 2012

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
By Bette Bao Lord
Review by David

When my mom told me that she wanted me to read this book, I complained. I thought the chapters looked long, and it didn't look interesting. When I started reading, I did not like the book. But, after a few chapters, I started to get into it because it told me interesting facts, talked about baseball history (like how Jackie Robinson became MVP), and the kids in the book were a lot like me. My favorite part of the book was when Jackie Robinson came to the school. If I got to meet a famous baseball player, it would be the second best thing in the whole entire world (the first would be meeting Tiger Woods). My mom's favorite part is when Shirley Temple Wong says the Pledge of Allegiance. It makes us both laugh every time. I won't tell you the whole thing, but it starts out with "I pledge a lesson to the frog..." You'll have to read it yourself to find out the rest! I would recommend this book to other kids because it's a really good book since it teaches you interesting facts within the story. You'll like Shirley because she's brave. She started at a new school in the book, just like I am going to this fall!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad your mom recommended that you read this book, David. It has always been a favorite read-aloud for my 4th graders. I always read it in the spring just in time for the opening day of baseball season. The book is a wonderful combination of the themes of history, baseball, family, and friendship.

    Ms. Kreul
    Whitefish Bay, WI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your honest post about having a hard time getting into the book. Glad you kept on because it sounds like you ended up really enjoying it! The same thing happened to me recently, and by the end of the story, I was glad that I had stuck with it. Thank you so much for sharing your Book Adventures with us!

    ReplyDelete